While the plants in our homes and gardens may seem beautiful, delicate and innocent, some of them can be more lethal than they seem, especially when it comes to our furry or feathered friends.
The list below details some of the most common plants that are toxic to pets, and should be avoided by pet owners. (This list is by no means exhaustive, and the ASPCA provides a complete list here).
If you suspect that your pet has been poisoned, seek veterinary treatment immediately as, in many cases, the first minutes or hours may be critical.
1. Aloe Vera
Although An incredibly useful plant to have at home., it is important to keep this "plant of immortality" out of the reach of curious cats and dogs, as it can lead to moderate toxicity.
When ingested, the aloe plant can why vomiting and diarrhea along with changes in the mood and color of the urine, and rarely, tremors.
These low maintenance plants illuminate any home in the winter with its large and spectacular flowers.
But nevertheless, They contain Several harmful substances that cause harm. Be careful with salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite, pain, lethargy and tremors in both cats and dogs.
The bulb of the plant is even more toxic than the flowers and stem, so keep your pets away from the shed!
3. Autumn Crocus
While the Spring Crocus can cause a general gastrointestinal disorder, such as drooling, vomiting and diarrhea, the Autumn Crocus is much more deadly.
A compound in this plant, called colchicine, is highly toxic and can Lead to severe drooling, vomiting, gastrointestinal hemorrhage, bloody diarrhea, liver and kidney damage, respiratory failure, seizures and death.
The signals can be seen immediately, but they can also be delayed for several days, so if even suspicious Your pet has been in contact with any part of this plant, see a veterinarian immediately.
4. Azaleas / Rhododendrons
Toxic for dogs, cats, horses and other animals, even taking a few leaves of azalea can cause changes in the normal function of muscles and nerves.
The effects will generally occur within the hours of exposure. Beware of acute digestive discomfort, excessive drooling, loss of appetite, frequent bowel movements, diarrhea, colic, depression, weakness, loss of coordination, paralysis and weak heartbeat.
In severe cases, the animal may suffer a drop in blood pressure, coma and even death.
5. Baby breath
This small and delicate flowering is often found as a filling in flower arrangements, although it can be seen growing in the wild in the United States, Asia and Europe.
Dogs and cats may suffer Gastrointestinal discomfort, vomiting and diarrhea of this plant, although you should also keep in mind that it can cause swelling and obstruction of the respiratory tract.
In the vast majority of cases, the pet will fully recover within 4 to 24 hours of ingestion.
The sap of begonia. contains Poisonous crystals that can cause drooling, difficulty swallowing, diarrhea and vomiting in animals.
Although this is one of the milder species of the toxic flora and, in general, does not produce long-term damage, the bulb contains the most concentrated source of poison and, therefore, should be stored out of the reach of pets.
Also known as roses, wild carnation or sweet William, this flower has a mild toxic effect. properties which can cause vomiting, diarrhea and excessive drooling.
Your pet does not even have to eat the carnations suffer of its toxins: the simple act of allowing the skin of the animal to come in contact with the plant may be sufficient for the development of dermatitis, an inflamed condition of the skin.
All parts of the plants are toxic, but the most dangerous are the seeds / beans. The signals typically develop 12 to 48 hours after eating. Watch for problems breathing, loss of appetite, excessive thirst, weakness, tremors, loss of coordination, fever and bloody diarrhea. As the symptoms progress, the animal may suffer seizures, coma and death.
9. Chinese Evergreen
Described as a 'almost infallible indoor plantThe Chinese Evergreen is ideal for beginner gardeners … but not for their pets.
Dogs, cats and horses are all susceptible to toxins in this vegetation, with symptom of ingestion including kicking the face (due to pain in the mouth), drooling, frothing and vomiting. Your pet may also have difficulty breathing or swallowing due to swelling of the lips, tongue and air passages.
A striking and colorful perennial, the chrysanthemum is a traditional garden flower that can pose a hidden threat to pets.
With a natural insecticide, chrysanthemum is generally considered be of low toxicity to dogs and other mammals (unless large amounts are ingested), although cats may be more sensitive.
Signs of poisoning occur within a couple of hours and include vomiting, diarrhea, hypersalivation and lack of coordination. Some animals may even experience dermatitis simply by coming into contact with these flowers.
These beautiful and innocuous spring flowers are toxic to dogs, cats and horses, although bulbs are the most poisonous part.
Take care of Vomiting, excess saliva and diarrhea. If it is consumed in large enough quantities, your pet may suffer seizures, falls in blood pressure, tremors and irregular heartbeats.
Popular for its incredible height and capacity of leaves, easy to care for Dieffenbachia It is found in homes across the country.
However, chewing the plant can cause it to release toxic crystals in the tissue of an animal, which causes legs on the face (due to pain in the mouth), drooling, frothing and vomiting. Your pet may also have difficulty breathing or swallowing due to swelling of the lips, tongue and air passages.
13. English ivy
Named by NASA as one of the best plants to purify the air and A fantastic plant to promote sleep. – English ivy is a common indoor plant with creeping leaves.
Unfortunately, this useful piece of vegetation is also toxic to children and pets, with common symptoms in animals including vomiting, abdominal pain, hypersalivation and diarrhea. Surprisingly, the foliage is more toxic than berries.
14. Golden Pothos
The Golden Pothos has beautiful marble leaves, heart-shaped and is said to purify the air while reducing home allergens.
However, their slightly toxic leaves should be kept away from pets and children with symptoms in animals even Intense burning and irritation of the mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting and difficulty swallowing.
These perennials are prized for their colorful leaves and ease of maintenance.
If they eat, dogs, cats and horses. can they experience Vomiting, diarrhea, and even symptoms of depression.
These robust succulents have dark green, scalloped leaves and attractive flowers.
In areas where these plants grow wild, such as South Africa and Australia, livestock and sheep poisoning They are common – so that pet owners should keep them out of the house and garden.
Kalanchoe toxins affect the heart with warning signs that include drooling, nausea, vomiting, irregular heartbeat, weakness, tremors, convulsions and dilated pupils, all of which can lead to death.
Delicate and impressive, lilies are common as indoor plants or in floral arrangements. Lilies it can be fatal both for dogs and cats, although cats are much more susceptible to their poisons.
In particular, be careful with the true lilies (of the species Lilium or Hemerocallis), such as the tiger, the day, the Asian hybrid, the Easter, the Japanese show, the rubrum, the stargazer, the red, the western, the lily of the valley and the wooden lilies.
Even eating one or two petals, ingesting pollen or drinking water from the vase may be enough to It results in Severe acute renal failure.
Do not waste your time when it comes to lilies: take your pet to the vet immediately.
18. Mistletoe and Holly
Many pet lovers believe that the traditional Christmas plant, the poinsettia, is dangerous for both children and animals … but there are much more dangerous flowers there. While poinsettia can cause nausea and vomiting if consumed in large quantities, its toxicity pales in comparison to the leaves and berries of holly and mistletoe.
In particular, the mistletoe contains several substances that are dangerous for both dogs and cats, and can cause intestinal discomfort, severe decrease in blood pressure, respiratory problems and even hallucinations (which we interpret as unusual behavior). Seizures and death may follow.
Among the most versatile shrubs, the oleander plant, from roots to flowers, is toxic to dogs and cats.
Watch for vomiting, drooling, tremors, seizures, diarrhea and loss of appetite. Other signs – which will be picked up by a veterinarian – include an irregular heartbeat and elevated potassium levels.
20. Sago Palm
Sago palms (which are not actually palms) contain a toxin that can cause death In cats and dogs.
The reddish-orange seeds are the most lethal part, although all parts of the plant, both male and female, both young and mature, are poisonous. According to some estimates, between 50% and 75% of poisonings with the sago palm cause the death of the pet.
Vomiting, diarrhea, depression and lack of appetite are the first symptoms, with liver failure.
Vomiting, depression, diarrhea, excessive salivation and, sometimes, difficulty breathing occur in dogs, cats and even horses that ingest enough tulip, although the most toxic part is the bulb.
Severe poisoning usually only happens when dogs dig up freshly planted bulbs or pets have access to a bag of them.
Reference: https://www.naturallivingideas.com/21-surprising-plants-kill-pets/, by Jayne Leonard
You May Also Like: